Cal Coast Construction will work with you on your 'Building Green' project. We can help you find environmentally friendly materials and show you ways to save money.
Home Tips for Green Living
(THE GREEN SEASON)
10 Tips to help save money and keep the environment clean...
- Use Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs). CFLs are a big energy saver. Changing five of the most frequently used light bulbs in your home/workplace can save $100 per year on electric bills.
- Program your thermostat to reduce energy use when you are not at home or are asleep. In the summer, set the A/C at 75° or higher and in the winter set the thermostat at 65° or lower.
- Plug air leaks around windows, doors, A/C, and other wall penetrations. Plugging those leaks with weather stripping or caulking is a relatively simple task.
- Be sure to clean A/C filters and tune up heating systems regularly.
- Choose ENERGY STAR appliances. Your energy bill can be reduced by $50 or more per appliance.
- Reduce water use and groundwater pollution by incorporating native plants into your landscaping. Native plants have evolved for eons and adapted to local soils and climate. They will thrive with minimal care and will need less water, fertilizer, and pesticides.
- Buy locally produced products. This reduces the amount of fossil fuel needed to transport the product to market. It also reduces the amount of plastic, and paper packaging. Buying local reduces consumption of valuable natural resources. It also supports the local economy.
- Use low VOC (volatile organic compounds) products to reduce interior air pollution, including low VOC paints and cleaning products. You can make your own low VOC cleaning products from normal household materials like baking soda, vinegar and borax. VOCs are emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids. VOCs include a variety of chemicals, some of which may have short- and long-term adverse health effects.
- Choose wood products from sustainably managed forests, such as those certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FCS).
- Make different transportation choices carpool, walk, bicycle, train, bus, and fuel-efficient car.
If you are considering incorporating some of the latest building green technology into your home remodeling project, we would enjoy becoming your contractor. Please contact us to bid on your project.